Getting a massage can be a wonderful, and even proven, way to reduce stress, get rid of chronic back and neck pain, and help you improve your overall posture.
Since 80% of Australians have reported experiencing back pain at least once in their lives, massages are more popular than ever.
But the professional hand massage industry may not be as convenient, or even as safe, as it's often made out to be.
Even if massage therapists are qualified, that doesn't save you the time of traveling to and from appointments, nor from waiting around in pain for weeks because your therapist is booked up.
Further, they can be very costly. If you get an inexperienced masseuse, or if your treatment is more focused on "feel-good" techniques as opposed to actual work, shelling out all that money can be seriously frustrated.
More and more Australians are fed up and are ready to look for a solution.
What do we suggest?
Getting a hand held massager.
These are wonderful alternatives to the hand massage industry, and there are tons of options available. Plus, they can target specific areas to relieve pain fast!
Wondering which hand held massager is right for you?
Read on to find out how to select the perfect option for you. We'll also touch on the many benefits of these massagers, and share with you some of our favorite brands and types of massagers.
What Are The Benefits Of A hand held Massager?
Before we begin talking about what you need to look for in your hand held massager, let's make sure you're fully aware of all the amazing things they can do for your mind and body. Your massager can...
#1 Improve your workout routine:
Tight muscles aren't a way to get an effective workout. In fact, if left untreated for too long, they can lead to serious injury. This is because your body reacts to the tension you're holding, and pushes all your weight to other areas.
This means your weight is not distributed evenly, and you could see serious over-bulk in one area, while others remain flabby or skinny. A massager releases your muscles and combs out knots, meaning your workout routine will feel good again.
#2 Ends stiffness:
If you're sitting at an office desk all day long, your back likely feels stiff and sore. Instead of twisting, turning, and shifting in your chair all day, use a hand held massager.
It can help to ease lower back tension caused from increased sitting. It will also help with alignment, so you'll have better posture in the future. No more hunching!
#3 Calm you down:
Of course, this is everyone's favorite reason to get a massage! But you can get the soothing mental effects of a massage just as easily with a hand held massager.
Plus, if you're concerned about privacy, or just don't feel comfortable getting undressed around a stranger, this is a way to ensure you can fully relax.
How Can I Find The Right Hand Held Massager For Me?
With so many options on the market when it comes to massagers, it can be difficult to know what to look for! Here are the questions you should ask yourself, so you know you're making the right choice:
#1 How much pressure do I need? This is one of the most crucial things to look for when you're trying to decide on a hand held massager.
- Sometimes, the amount of pressure you need depends on your personal preference? Do you like a lighter touch, or are you all about intensity?
- Other times, the amount of pressure you need to have available depends on just how much tension and strain has built up into your back. To beat out tough knots, you'll likely need to go with an option that is capable of a lot of pressure. But if your back is tender, using too much pressure could end up really hurting you.
- The best bet is to go with a massager that offers a variety of speeds, whether you're controlling switching between them yourself or letting an auto program do the trick. Sometimes, these speeds can be adjusted through a knob. Other times, you can click a button for more specific pressure options.
#2 Are there any auto-programs I'd like to look into? Automated massage cycles and programs aren't just for massage chairs anymore! Now, more and more hand held options are using them!
- There are programs that can alternate the intensity of the pressure you're experiencing, so you can ease into deeper massage. These programs also use a variety of speeds when it comes to applying this pressure.
- Some programs even offer you multiple massage techniques in a single round of massage! If you prefer kneading to tapping, or would like a little bit of both, make sure to look into auto program options when you're deciding on a massager.
#3 What's my budget? To determine your budget, think about how often each month/year you get massages.
- If you get them frequently, a massager will more than likely end up paying for itself, when you look at the money it's saving you in comparison to pricey single treatments. Think of this as a longer-term investment in your health, and buy yourself a luxury massager.
- If you don't get massages done professionally very often, then it's really all about what you're comfortable spending at the moment. You may prefer a cheaper option, so you can test for yourself and learn just how much more effective hand held options are than professional massages.
#4 Do I prefer vibration, kneading, or a combination of both? There's no "wrong answer" here, it's all about your personal preference.
- While vibrations are good for running a massager all over your back area gently, kneading will help get rid of smaller, persistent knots.
- You may not have to choose! These days, there are lots of hand held massagers that offer both vibrating and kneading/tapping options.
#5 What size of a massager will I need? To figure this out, think about the total area you need covered.
- Are you experiencing knots in several places across your back? If so, a smaller, more targeted hand held massager may be a better option.
- If you're dealing with overall stiffness, a massager with a larger head will work well for you.
- Keep in mind that you should also look at the weight of these massagers. You don't want lifting them to be painful or stressful.
What Is The Top Hand Held Massager Out There?
Now that you know what you need to look for in a massager, let us tell you about two of our favorites.
First up? The uPamper 2 hand held Massager.
Whether you want to use it on yourself or have a friend or partner run it over your back, you'll notice results and relief right away.
This is because of the integrated Gua Sha (aka "scraping") technology. This technique will help your blood flow and circulation to increase. This means that oxygen will be able to reach your tissues and muscles faster, helping you to relax.
Additionally, it will jump-start a detox, pumping the knots and areas of tension out of your body, releasing positive chemicals to replace the negative ones in your body.
Even better? It costs just about as much as a single luxury spa massage - and it's much more effective since you can target your pain points directly!
Be sure to drink plenty of water after the 20-minute cycle finishes, to ensure maximum effects.
We also love the uBuzz hand held Massager.
If you're traveling for work and feeling constantly stressed out while on the road, this is the perfect solution for you.
This massager's 3-point design ensures that tight muscles are targeted for all angles. It's also an ideal option for those who want to try releasing pressure points. It's like an on-the-go acupuncture treatment!
Our favorite part? It can give you an in-home scalp massage. Scalp massages are amazing, but they can wear out your hands fast! This detachable massage brush means you can treat your head for as long as you like!
Ready To Relieve Stress?
If the time and stress around booking, paying for, and driving to and from your hand massage appointment pretty much renders any positive effects on your back useless, it's time to move on.
When you're looking to get all the benefits of a professional massage with none of the hassle (and for much less of the cost!) check out our website to learn more about the hand held massagers we offer.
Whether you're using massage on its own or making it a part of your overall cardio health and routines, you'll see lasting benefits.
There's no reason to spend another day in pain, or on hold with your massage therapist when an affordable and lasting solution is just around the corner.
Also, be sure to spend some time on our blog to learn more about all the latest trends in the ever-evolving world of massage.