Shoulder pain can be one of the most debilitating feelings in the world. As soon as you feel those muscles tweak and twinge, your day goes from fab to drab.
If you suffer from shoulder pain, this post is for you! Your days don't need to be filled with pain. Read on to learn about the easiest and most effective home remedies for shoulder pain.
Remedying shoulder pain really can be as simple as stretching more. Slow, light stretching a few times a day increases blood flow and can prevent future pain.
Stretching is one of the simplest, most enjoyable home remedies for shoulder pain
Here are some fun, easy, and quick stretches you can do -- even if you only have a few minutes!
- Cat-cow: Get on all fours on the ground (preferably with a nice towel or mat). Now, gently lower your neck while arching your back. Hold this pose for about 5 seconds. Now, you'll do the reverse. Slowly raise your neck while pushing your stomach to the ground. You should feel a nice stretch in your back and shoulders.
- Cobra: Lay on your stomach. Now push up with your arms, arching your back. Hold for 10 seconds and lower yourself back down.
- Shoulder rolls: Stand up straight and push your shoulders back slightly. Now, comfortably roll your shoulders back and forth in slow circles. Repeat several times, then reverse direction.
2. A hot/cold compress
Hot and cold compresses are fantastic. Both heat and cold target muscles in your body differently, so there's benefit to both. Depending on the severity of your shoulder pain, you'll want one or both on hand.
- Heat: Warmth is great at relieving shoulder pain as it reduces swelling in muscles.
- Cold: Cold, on the other hand, numbs pain and brings chilly relief
This is likely one of the home remedies for shoulder pain you already have on hand. But if not, using your shower will work just as well.
3. Gentle massaging
Ahh, here's the favorite of the home remedies for shoulder pain. A good home massage relaxes muscles and increases blood flow.
Take two fingers and gently rub as close to the affected area as feels comfortable. If it doesn’t cause too much pain, slowly roll your shoulder backward and forward as you massage. The increased blood flow should provide relief after a few minutes.
If you're looking for more great tips for the perfect home massage, head here.
4. Epsom salt baths
It's time to draw yourself a nice, warm bath! Add 1.5-2 cups of Epsom salt, and let it dissolve in the water.
Soak for 20-30 minutes several times a week and watch as your shoulder pain disappears.
5. Work on posture
Let's face it: we could all stand to work on our posture.
You may be accustomed to sitting in all day at work. Consider investing in a standing desk or ergonomic furniture.
You can work on posture at home as well. Try standing as you watch your favorite programs. Not only will your posture improve, but you'll burn calories as well.
Something as simple as standing up straight with your shoulders back can be instrumental in relieving shoulder pain.
Don't let pain get you down! With these home remedies for shoulder pain, you'll be feeling better than ever in no time. If you want to go above and beyond, look into one of these fantastic massage chairs and truly treat yourself!