We've talked before about how great it is to get a massage at home. But do you know what makes that massage even better?
Massage oils can make your massage that much more relaxing and fun. But these oils can be tricky.
That's why we're giving you this DIY massage oil guide so that you can make a massage oil of your own.
Pick a carrier oil.
This is going to be the base of your DIY massage oil. You should choose your carrier oil based on scent and feel against your skin.
Some popular choices include:
- Almond Oil: A very moisturizing, mild oil.
- Coconut Oil: A tropical oil that is easily absorbed by the skin.
- Grapeseed Oil: An odorless oil, which means it mixes especially well.
- Olive oil: Oil that's easily found in your house, so it's good for a quick DIY massage.
You can try out different oils to see which one you like the best!
Pick an essential oil.
Essential oils are what makes your massage oil special. They all have unique properties and scents, so pick one or a few that you like.
Some choices include:
- Cypress: Good for varicose veins or improving circulation.
- Eucalyptus: Improves sickness, such as bronchitis and allergies.
- Lavender: A relaxing scent that helps improve your mood.
- Peppermint: Improves focus and gives an energy boost.
- Rose: Will make your skin glow.
- Rosemary: Helps to improve brain function and memory.
- Sandalwood: A natural aphrodisiac that also improves energy.
You should pick essential oils based on how well they pair with your carrier oil, how much you like the scent, and what you expect to get out of your massage.
If you're looking to relax, lavender's your best choice. If you want something more romantic, go with the scent of sandalwood.
It's up to you to decide what you like best — that's what makes DIY so much fun!
Pick a container.
This is the easy part.
Glass works best for storing a massage oil. You can get a glass bottle of any size. It should have a top in order to keep the oil safe and avoid spilling.
Dark or tinted glass works best. It will protect your oils from the sun so that they don't turn bad.
It's fairly easy to buy a glass bottle, or you can wash one that you already have from something else.
Make your DIY massage oil!
Now that you have all your ingredients, it's time to start mixing them together!
A good rule of thumb is to use 70 drops (or roughly 3.5 mL) of essential oil to every 8 oz of carrier oil. It's up to you to decide exactly how much you want, however.
To mix them, first drip your essential oils into your glass bottle. Then add your carrier oil. Put the lid on your bottle and roll between your palms in order to blend.
And there you have your DIY massage oil! These are a great treat for yourself or even a fun gift to give to friends. Try it today!